Friday, April 22, 2016

Should non-golfers live in a golf course community?

Dear Joan,
My spouse has been bitten by the golf bug again this spring. As usual, he wants to move to a golf course community after selling our home in the valley. I have always associated higher fees and stuffy country club members with living on a golf course. And I don’t play golf, so I would feel like an outcast or at least a second-class citizen. Tell me if I am off base or right on, please.
Dear non-golfer,
Image result for cordillera golfI am afraid I am in your spouse’s camp this time. I am a golfer, but I feel we have many gorgeous golf course communities in our valley providing much more than a place to play the game. They provide many social interaction opportunities and can provide protection for your property value. The courses are beautiful and usually provide dedicated open space that will secure your views to the mountains into the future. I would say that probably well more than half of the friends and clients I know that live on golf courses up and down our valley do not play golf. My suggestion would be to find a competent and knowledgeable Realtor and have a look at not only the homes in several golf course communities, but also the clubhouses and amenities offered and ask the people there how they like living there. Best of luck.
Joan Harned is an owner and broker for Keller Williams Mountain Properties and heads up Team Black Bear, her own real estate team. Harned has been selling real estate in Eagle County for 27 years, is a past chairman of the Vail Board of Realtors, past Realtor of the Year, past director on the Great Outdoors Colorado Board and a member of the Luxury and Land Institutes. Contact Harned with your real estate questions at Joan@TeamBlackBear.com, 970-337-7777 and www.TeamBlackBear.com.
Originally published in The Vail Daily newspaper on 04/22/2016 and can be seen here as published.

No comments:

Post a Comment